Sunday, August 5, 2012
I am happy to say that because of the lack of internet services, I've been able to do lots of school work. I've got my new word wall made, my Mrs. Mach is reading... poster and a new sight word initiative program for my kiddos. Now I am working on math fact fluency (one of my weak areas). I have also printed tons of the things that I've bought and downloaded over the summer. So I guess (and here's another saying my parents always used) every cloud has a silver lining! I'm wishing I had one of those little scotch laminators though! That would really make my time useful. Hmmmm....maybe that might be something that I'll buy myself for my quickly approaching birthday! I was able to join in with Farley and her "currently" for the beginning of the month!
1. sitting here in a nice, air-conditioned lobby while my daughter has cheer practice. Yes, on Sunday...I know it's a bit hard core but they are a really good team and it's the only thing she really ever asks to do. Only thing is...my booty is KILLING ME! they have bleacher style seats here...yes BLEACHER STYLE! I need one of those cushion type seats. I need to visit Academy soooooon!
2. Yesterday I became that crazy cleaning Mom. I get into these moods every now and then. My girls know it...because it is usually preceeded by the "panic"ed but pissed screaming RANT that I go into about how horrible the house is and that CPS would take away the bitties (what we call our little bittie babies) if they came in and that no one in our house has any pride and no one must love me because they wouldn't do this to me if they did...They don't even say anything anymore. They just grabbed the cleaning stuff and went away to their "places"! We cleaned every inch of the house. I did loose steam though and still need to organize my and the little bitties closets. I love the fact that I got to watch whatever I wanted on TV and everything was nice and clean. A total guilt free evening of TV watching. So of course, I was asleep by 8 pm. No TV watching for me :( hahahaha
3. Do I even need to elaborate on this? We are all feeling this one huh? Only thing is that I am so ADHD that I really struggle with this. I make lists. I have a work space at home. I even made a binder that houses my ideas and projects that I want to do. Still no good :/
4. My littlest bittie (4 months old today!) is NO. WHERE. NEAR. sleeping through the night. She goes down about 7 pm and wakes up every 3 hours...all night long! I am super exhausted but it's ok because no work right now. Fast forward 3 weeks and it's going to be a big problem. I'm hoping cereal will help! The only thing is that she was a premie and I don't want to do anything that will mess with her sweet systems! So prayers for the doctors appointment tomorrow!
5. When I was a little girl I always looked forward to back to school. I loved it as a matter of fact! I couldn't wait to get my school supplies and my new shoes and my lunch box and my school clothes! My girls on the other hand...not so much! They are too busy to go with Mom shopping! Oh no! But come August 15 they are going to start freaking out! I think that I am going to shop for myself this week so when the "time" comes I'll not have me to worry about!
6. I carry books, papers, calendars, lists, post its everywhere I go so this year I made a teacher binder that I saw on pinterest. I love it and I'm hoping I'll be more organized this year. Magnetic tape is my life saver! I put it on just about everything and my room becomes interactive for the kids. and Diet Coke??!!!! Must. Have. Many. Everyday!!!!
Ya'll have a great week. Hopefully my Internet will be fixed soon and I'll get back to life as I knew it!
Keep coming Back
"If it weren't for bad luck I'd had no luck at all! Doom, despair, and agony on me!"
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
I am so excited! I have finally reached 50 followers! I know I promised to include 5 freebies for you! But I just can't figure out how to do it. I've tried but with no luck. I am researching this though and as soon as I do, I am going to post these freebies. They aren't fancy AT ALL!!! I love all the cute graphics and designs that everyone uses but I'm not there yet...heck I can't even figure out how to post the silly documents anyway! Again, thanks for your patience with me while I learn the blogging thing. If anyone can help me I sure would appreciate it. This is what I am trying to do:
- learn to upload to google docs so that it won't change the format or images I've already created. The last doc I uploaded all the pictures and borders I added were gone!!!
- find a way to get my documents on my posts so that there is a picture for people to click AND once they click it they see the document in google docs so they can grab it.
- or learn any other way to get my documents on the post so people can have them.
Thanks again for following my blog. I promise some changes very soon.
- I really want a new blog design!!! I want to learn how to change backgrounds and add a heading so my blog will better represent me. Any tips??? So far, no luck with finding the plain white blog design :(
- I am going to start writing about my class and how I teach specific lessons/procedures/strategies. But I don't have any pictures (thank you crashed computer of '10 waaa :'( )and I was afraid that they would be boring posts so I've delayed doing that. I am going to try to make it work anyway...Starting with the beginning of school and all its glory!! From set up to lessons to classroom management. That is coming up first.
- I am going to learn to add freebies to grab! A big thank you very much to Jenna at diving in to learning for trying to teach me how to post them. Hopefully I will figure it out someday!
Most of my stuff got placed in the new room but some of it is in a different room! I can't actually go back to work in my room until Aug 1 to solve the problem. But I don't know if that will happen because of other commitments but I know that I will feel so much better when my room is done. We go back August 20 but technically only 1 day is devoted to teacher workday. I couldn't even arrange my room in one day!!! So I go early on my own time because I want things perfect and inviting. I could never do that in one day! Do you feel the same? Are you an early bird or do you work better getting things done during your school days?
Starting this week I am going to write about the beginning of school-activities and procedures! So check back soon! Also I'll post pics as soon as I get into my room and start working!
Sunday, July 22, 2012
New Blog Hop
Found this great place to find new and exciting blogs at grade three is the place for me. It's called the Newbie Bloggers Blog Hop. I fit in that category so I am going to play along!
1.) What state are you in?
I live in the Lone Star State of Texas (or hell in the summer time cuz IT'S SO HOT!!!)
2.) What is your current teaching position?
This is my 23rd year. I've taught Kinder for 9 years, 1st for 4 years, 2nd-this is year 3, reading recovery and have been the reading interventionist/literacy specialist/coach (whatever your district calls reading help) for 6 years. As a favor to my P, last year I taught 5th...YIKES!!...not so much for me. I didn't know what to do with kids that already knew how to read ;) I am happy to report I am back down where I belong in 2nd! Reading recovery was my passion and the 1 of the things that truly changed me as a teacher. I was heartbroken when my district 86ed the program. And while I enjoyed being the literacy specialist I really missed being in the classroom and teaching my own class. So I decided to go back and I've been there every since. It went like this: Kinder, reading recovery, first grade, literacy specialist, second, fifth, second!
4.) When did you start blogging?
June of 2012. I did it because I wanted to join the Daily 5 book study that is going on right now. I had no idea I'd enjoy it so much. It's one of the funnest things I've done lately as far as education goes! I love meeting new people and sharing ideas and resources/materials. I wish Texas would do one of those bloggie meet ups!
5.) Share some blogging tips or a resource.
I am working on my documents that I am going to post here for you to grab to celebrate having 50 followers! Check back soon!
Keep Coming Back
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Now for class.....
Monday, July 16, 2012
I gotta tell ya, I'm not feeling the excitement that I usually feel on make it Monday :( I don't know why I feel a little down but I do. Possibly because the months of no pay maternity leave is getting to me. Sometimes stress is a real bummer!
Head on over to 4th grade frolics where Tara has her super fun linky party Make It Monday!
I have been working on a few things that are fun but now that school is on its way I felt the need to get to work on things that I need for school. Maybe not the funnest things but necessary. And they will be fun for my kiddos! I've been printing and making all the cool things I've bought from everyone on TPT & TN! So far I've printed 4 things:
These were on pinterest last year and I wanted to make them for my class but couldn't find the jumbo clips. Thanks to Walmart and the 88 cent isle I can make them this year! I've just used the ribbon from my scrapbooking supply. You can get 1$ rolls of ribbon at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I think my kiddos will enjoy getting them in their first day of school bags!
Tonyas treats for teachers and I use incentive charts in my room and when kids filled it up they got to grab from the treasure chest. These are perfect because they can now have a choice in what their prize will be. I think they will work harder for their reward now.
Have a good night all!
Keep Coming Back
Sunday, July 15, 2012
The following come straight from CKH (Capturing Kids Hearts):
- From day 1 and every single day I stand by my door and welcome each kid with a handshake and an eyeball hello (just looking into their eyes when saying hello). You wouldn't believe how many kids can't do this. They just don't look into adults eyes and hold it while they are talking. Not even for the 3 seconds it takes to say hello. Good thing is it doesn't take long to learn! It is also something I require them to do from then on...the eye contact thing. It shows "I have interest in what you are saying to me"
- Morning Meeting - we have morning meeting for lots of reasons like discussing the day before, drawing attention to important events/agenda, etc. but also for getting to know you activities like warm fuzzy time (which is a compliment/put up time) and tell us time (which is a telling about activity)
- We build a class contract at the end of the first week. This is not discipline and rules...this is how we want to treat each other in the classroom for the safest and best learning environment. BUT if the contract is followed is really curbs unacceptable behavior during the year. It is made up of 4 questions that the kids answer. Make an anchor chart and write their responses on it. It stays up all year and gets referred to often, even when things are going great! the questions are 1) How do you want ME to treat YOU? 2) How do you want to treat EACH OTHER? 3) How do I want YOU to treat ME? and 4) How will we handle conflict in our room? Make sure to be specific with words. For instance...We want you to treat us good. Well, kids need to know what "good" looks like in the room, so you'll want to talk about the words they choose.
- Get to know you bracelets - These were all over pro-teacher last year (or year before?). Children build a bracelet and each bead tells something about the kiddo. They LOVE this. I've created a Roving Reporter element to lots of the things we do in the classroom and this is the first one. Each kid picks a partner and asks questions about their bracelet. I have a form already made with questions and they record the answers on the paper. The partner does the same in return. Then they "report" (using a play microphone and everything) to the class. This is the first of the "roving reporter" activities. When I tell them that they'll be roving for X activity boy do they get happy, happy, happy (any Duck Dynasty fans out there...holla Phil and Si).
- the Me bag - this is much like the bracelet but they are bringing in items from home that represent themselves. They decorate their "brag bag" which is a lunch sack and bring 5 items from home THAT FIT IN THE BAG. If something they want to use is too large for the bag they can bring in a picture (magazine or drawn). We share about 2 or 3 during morning meeting.
- M-E-N-G-O - this is a get to know you activity in the form of a bingo game. Lots of versions out there like this. It has squares like "went to the beach over the summer" and "has brothers or sisters". Mine has the kids write the name of the kiddo that fulfills that square. when a row, column or diagonal has been completed they shout "me"ngo!
- Name Glyph - I got this from a T book years ago just tweaked it a bit and made it fit for my group of kids. Kids artistically design their names in bubble letters. Yes, they "can't do that" at first. We have our first mini art lesson, then they "CAN do it". Each letter of their name answers a specific question. EX. first letter: How do you get to school? bus=polka dots, car=happy faces, walk=stars. They decorate the letter with the picture that answers the question. You can make up the questions to get any information they want to learn about. We usually brainstorm ideas as a class on topics that we would like to learn more about. So we are coming up with the glyph together! SS lesson on how to work together to solve a problem! Actually there are tons of name activities we do from all the Chrysanthemum counting/graphing names activities to finding out where our names come from.
- Daily graphs - each morning when they come to meeting there is a question in the form of a graph. They use stickies to answer. We look at the information the graph gives us and then form statements about the graph. Things like "I can see by the bar graph we made that more people prefer going to the ball park than going to the park". This also used as a tie in to math journals. When we start those, I tie this into it by saying the famous "think back to" line. so...think back to the beginning of the year when we learned so much information using graphs...well, today we are going to write down and draw pictures about a graph. Just like we did at the beginning of the year". Lots of fun stuff to learn during math.
- Special Students - this is a week long activity where the kids build themselves with each body part being a different getting to know you activity. At the end of the week the kids have a large representation of themselves covered with information about themselves. The head is an art activity of self portrait using different mediums for creating a "true to self" portrait. The upper body is a shirt cutout that has a list of "my favorite things/close to the heart". The shorts/pants/skirt is "one thing I did this summer"...kids have a discussion with a partner about this. They "interview" each other with the 5 Ws. This is usually their first encounter with the 5 Ws so we do a mini lesson on who, what, when, where, why and how to answer those questions. Students take notes about this on themselves, not their partner. The partner share is just to get kids thinking and thinking about answering in correct form. Then they write a small paragraph answering the 5 W questions. It gets glued to the pants. They add arms and legs, shoes etc. These go out in the hall and they just get the biggest kick out of looking at each other all month long!
- I also make a book about myself that introduces me, my family, my favorite things etc. and we have one for all the staff members that the kids will come in contact with...Librarian, custodians, office staff. Each person has their own page with their name, where they are in the building and something special about them.
Not that she doesn't look great with dark hair...my pocketbook is taking a huge hit and I need that money for the "88 cent isle" at Walmart!!!!!! Look at these cool things I found today!!!!! I can't wait to make a sentence center with these cool magnets. Some of the words aren't for second grade but lots of them are...oooohhh yea!!!!
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
So that's it for me today! I am working on beginning of school this week. Focusing on building relationships in the classroom. That's what the next blog will be about. So check back on Friday. Also pics of my beautiful Big C and her roll as Tiptim (did I spell that right?) in the King and I. She is the huge theater girl in our family. We all love theater but she is the one with the longing and talent to actually get on stage and do it! I will be bragging for sure on Friday! I look forward to summer because of her plays! Have a great day ya'll!
Keep Coming Back
"Later on the sun began to fade, Then the clouds rolled over our heads And it began to rain"