Friday, June 22, 2012

Freebie Friday

I hope this isn't too late but I wanted to try to post a freebie for everyone each Friday.  I had such wonderful intentions of doing this much earlier in the day however my babies didn't want that to happen.  As I posted last week, everyone is sick here.  Most are feeling much better but my 9 week old isn't feeling up to par yet.  I took her back to the doctor today to have her looked at (for my own piece of mind really).  That took up most of the afternoon.  And she has been so fussy that I've been unable to do much of anything else except hold her.  This makes the 2 year old very cranky too. She is very gifted at being 2...she even knows how to cry, suck a pacifier (which she has NEVER EVER taken), and crawl on the floor.  I know...how lucky am I??? Anywho, this is the first time I've had to sit down and do this.

My Friday Freebie is a spelling activity that I've used for years.  It isn't my complete original thought.  I found a couple of great things out there on the WWW and I tweaked it and made it my own.  Isn't that what we all do...sweet thieves we are!!!  I call it super speller's choice.

>Click here:  super speller's choice

 Just some thoughts and ideas on how I use this in my classroom.  
This is my take on trying to make spelling homework fun.  I always hated spelling as a child because I am mildly dyslexic and it was torture writing spelling 5 times each much less take a practice spelling test and the real test too.  When I moved to second grade I noticed spelling was a huge area that needed attention.  Along with word work, we practice super spelling!  I try to incorporate different word work in my Daily 5 working with words area but kids also use spelling task cards that I got from unseen001 on pro-teacher.  I found that they really like doing these task cards so I decided to use them for their homework.  I searched the Internet and found the spelling contract and speller’s choice activities and thought it would be a perfect way for me to combine the task cards and homework.  I change the activities each 9 weeks (or more often if I think it needs to be).  Now, unfortunately I don’t remember who I originally saw speller’s choice from.  Since that first time, I know that many people do speller’s choice.  If you are that person, comment and let me know so I can give you your props!!
We get a new spelling list every Monday.  I teach a mini lesson on the spelling TEKS for that list then we practice writing them in our spelling spiral (just a plain 15c spiral).  The speller’s choice page gets stapled onto the front cover so students (and parents) have a reminder of what to do.  They work on an activity each night and the entire notebook gets turned in for a homework grade on Friday morning.  Spelling tests are later in the day on Friday.
Enjoy!  I hope you can use this somehow in your class!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Keep Coming Back
Rene
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"  

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of speller's choice. In fact I have done that for many years. It just might be the population that my school is in, but it didn't work out like I wanted. So I went back to assigning spelling homework. Which is pretty much my speller's choice activitie anyway. For one reason or another parents just didn't get the choice idea. (We have lots of english is a second lang. learners.)

    BTW- I became a follower of your blog, and can't wait to get more ideas.

    thanks for sharing.
    Ms. Fiorini’s Stadium

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following. I only hope to be able to share as many great ideas as you did. I LOVE your blog. I am hoping to learn more about how to add all the wonderful links you have. Did you do yours personally or did you have someone design it? We do have a few ELLs and I can certainly see how that would be confusing. I also notice that most parents do want the standard homework type stuff. I just really hate giving homework. Mainly because I feel that homework should only be a review of what we are doing in class and because I have to grade it (;p which I can't stand to do!!!)

    ReplyDelete